Thursday, October 13, 2011

Upgrading to iOS5

Updated the iMac to iTunes 10.5 last night.  Then attempted to upgrade my iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 (I let it go overnight)....looked at the phone this morning and it had the "plug me in" symbols on it (even though it was still tethered to the Mac.


Looked at iTunes - had the wonderful "An unknown error (3004)" on screen.  A quick Google shows that Apple's servers were/are getting hammered and to be patient.  So....the only option presented to me by iTunes is to restore to factory settings.....once that completed it says it's restoring the last backup made just before the update attempt.  Then I guess we'll try iOS5 again.  The 3GS was to be the guinea pig install for updating the iPad2 later....we shall see...


(time passes)


It took forever to do the entire restore (about 1 hour 45 minutes), which I thought was to iOS 4....however, once the phone finished and I untethered it from USB, it said I had a few more steps to perform.  Turn on location services, check, pick a wi-fi network, check, enter Apple ID, check, set up iCloud - wait! what?  Turns out iOS 5 was on the phone after all.  The initial scare wasn't warranted after all, but the process could have gone a little smoother.


On to the iPad2...kind of anti-climactic....started the update and a while later it finished fine - just what you'd want to happen.  Now I get to play with the 200+ new features of iOS 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment